Rediscovering history on the antiques trail
One of the reasons why the Swan Valley is so attractive to visit is the abundance of antique and collectibles shops that are easily accessible to the passer by. Last weekend I took a trip to James St, Guildford to check out the whole stretch of the road.
A trip to an antique shop is a fun activity to do whenever you visit new or old places. The thing is, you never know what you'll find when you visit but you can be sure of these things. .
1. An antique shop will teleport you to another time, and it helps you to discover old world charms. It is fascinating to see different machines, cameras, pieces of furniture, and even toys for children.
2. Each item has a story to tell especially the one in the 'Not For Sale' (NFS) section. The NFS section was carefully curated by the owner of each antique shop. Usually, each item holds a special meaning for the shop owners. If the shop is not busy, try to spend some time to have a chit-chat with the shop owner. At Dr Russell's Imaginarium, Phil Russell collected a lot of Star Wars memorabilia, old school tin and wooden toys, as well as fun arts.
3. An antique shop can teach the next generation about history through items and help us to appreciate how far we've come. There is always life before us and also stories of people who have walked on the same ground as us.
4. It is an excellent place to find unique gifts and homewares. Other than eco-friendly, antique shops also offer the particular joy of treasure hunting. Not only that, most of the time you will find one of a kind items that cannot be copied easily. This also includes finding beautiful pieces of jewellery.
5. You can resell as well as upcycle beautiful items of furniture that you find at antique shops. Values won't change much when it comes to antique items, such as beautifully made beaded bags, porcelain, stained glass, wooden furniture, and woven works of art. You can layer your old and new furniture together, and even group them by colour.
Next time you travel to the Swan Valley, do not shy away from the opportunity to check out the Antique Shops & Collectibles strip in Guildford. Always make sure that you check on each item's condition, especially with a more significant purchase.