The 2018 Annual Swan Valley Wine Show is over for another year, with over 270 wines from the region entered for judging. Celebrating 184 years of winemaking in the region, as well as being the show’s 30th year, one of the best vintages in recent years was anticipated due to relatively cool summer temperatures.
Judging took place at Caversham House by two panels of expert judges, including Mr Chee Wee Lee from Singapore as the guest International Judge. Chee Wee is a highly qualified wine professional, actively judging throughout Singapore and internationally for Decanter Wine Magazine.
“One of the real highlights of the show was the white wines from the 2018 vintage,” said Robert Mann, chair of one of the two judging panels, in summing up the year’s competition. “We saw some vibrant young red wines, and some strengths were where red wines were blended across varietals.”
A full list of winners in each category is presented below, but the all-important trophy winners were:
- The West Australian Media Award Trophy, sponsored by The West Australian: Talijancich Wines
- City of Swan Trophy: Talijancich Wines
- Singapore Airlines Premium Trophy for Best Table Wine of Show: 10/5 Stringybark Winery Verdelho 2018
Congratulations to all of the winners, especially Talijancich Wines for winning two of the three trophies.
It’s been another fantastic year for Swan Valley wines - make sure you support the region the next time you’re dining out or looking for a bottle to drink at home.
- Best Sparkling Wine: 1/9 Sittella Marie Christien Lugten 2013
- Best Verdelho: 10/5 Stringybark Winery Verdelho 2018
- Best Small Producer (less than 35 tonnes): Talijancich Wines
- Best Non Greater Perth Zone Wine (Red or White): 9/2 Houghton Small Batch Rojo Grande 2017
- Best 2018 Dry White Wine of Show: 10/5 Stringybark Winery Verdelho 2018
- Alan Dinneen Memorial Trophy: 11/15 John Kosovich Chenin Blanc 2013
- Best White Wine or Blend (other than Verdelho): 12/13 Sittella Museum Silk 2012
- Best Red Wine or Blend (other than Shiraz): 15/27 Sittella Tinta Rouge 2017
- Best Swan Valley White Table Wine: 10/17 Faber Vineyard Verdelho 2013
- Best Shiraz or Shiraz Dominant Blend: 13/1 Oakover White Label Shiraz 2017
- Best Swan Valley Red Table Wine: 15/27 Sittella Tinta Rouge 2017
- Best Fortified Wine of Show: 16/7 Talijancich Wines Pedro Ximenes 2007