Attractions & Experiences
Colonial Gaol and Taylor's Cottage
From 1867 to 1969 the Colonial Gaol was the local lock up for petty criminals awaiting trial or serious offenders awaiting transport to Perth or Fremantle gaols. Sentences of four weeks or less were served at the gaol.
The spelling “Gaol” comes from Norman French and the spelling and pronunciation “Jail” comes from Parisian French.
Originally located at the rear of 3 Meadow Street, Guildford, it is believed this cottage was originally built as a stable c.1863 then converted to a home for the Taylor family in the early 1880s. In 1983 it was dismantled by volunteers, relocated to Guildford Heritage Precinct and is now part of the Museum managed by the Swan Guildford Historical Society (Inc).
Contact the Swan Guildford Historical Society on 9379 1829 or the Swan Valley Visitor Centre (contact details below) for more information.
The Colonial Gaol and Taylor’s Cottage are in the same grounds as the Swan Valley Visitor Centre on the corner of Meadow and Swan Streets, Guildford.
Swan Valley Visitor Centre
GUILDFORD Western Australia 6055
Tel:(08) 9207 8899
Opening Days and Times
Tuesday to Saturday 10.00am - 2.00pm with the last museum entrance at 1.30pm
Other days and times by appointment via the Swan Guildford Historical Society on 9379 1829
Group or school bookings can be made with Sue on 9279 4332
$ 5.00 per adult
$ 3.00 per child
Accompanied children under age 5 are free of charge
Directions by CarComing from Guildford or Midland along James Street, head north onto Meadow Street, on the right just before the roundabout
ParkingAvailable onsite and roadside with accessible parking bays provided
Directions by TrainStop at Guildford Train Station on the Perth to Midland line