Arts, Crafts and Shopping
Art galleries and gift shops are as much a part of the Swan Valley experience as the wineries. The Swan Valley's relaxed atmosphere and rural charm has attracted and inspired a vibrant community of artisans. Talented local artisans regularly exhibit their work in galleries, studios and cafes throughout the region, from potters and Aboriginal painters, to sculptors and furniture makers. Contact the Swan Valley Visitor Centre for more details.
A great way to experience the creativity of local artisans is to spend the day exploring the region's many retail attractions by following the Swan Valley Food and Wine Trail, which features art galleries and gift shops as well as purveyors of fresh produce.
Check out some of the highlights you can experience as part of your Arts, Crafts and Markets Swan Valley experience :
- Walk around Gomboc Gallery, it has the largest sculpture park in the southern hemisphere.
- See unique and modern Aboriginal art at Maalinup Aboriginal Gallery.
- Watch out for Antonio Battistessa's famous iron sculptures located at many Swan Valley venues, or visit him at his eclectic home studio and gift shop.
- Attend a workshop at Taylors Art and Coffee House.
- Visit potteries at Guildford and Whiteman Park.
Alternatively, take a walk along the James Street antique strip in Guildford and browse one of the largest ranges of second-hand wares outside of Perth. You'll also encounter quaint home-decor and gift shops, art galleries and boutique clothing shops in this Swan Valley town. Or, for more modern Market facilities, head to Midland, where you'll find everything from large department stores to chic boutiques.
It is recommended that you contact gallery venues directly to find out about upcoming exhibitions. Contact the Swan Valley Visitor Centre for a list of retail outlets, art galleries and gift shops to plan your Market spree.